After a wonderfully overindulgent December, we are in total detox mode over here. Okay, maybe not total detox… but as total as two beer and margarita lovers can be
As a result, we’ve been trying our hardest to eat fresh and light lately and this soup has been one of our favorites. The broth is lightly flavored with ginger, soy, and rice vinegar and is loaded with veggies and chicken. It is pretty darn healthy and plenty filling on its own but we served it with roasted broccoli.
The original recipe was actually a crockpot recipe, but I felt like it required just as much hands-on time as this converted non-crockpot version. But if the crockpot version interests you, know that you can follow the recipe below, put everything but the noodles, pea pods, green onions, and cilantro in the crockpot, and let it cook on low for 6 hours. When you get home, turn it to high and throw in the noodles and pea pods until the noodles have cooked (BHG suggests 30 minutes).
And if anyone ever figures out an effective all-beer or half-beer/half-margarita detox, let us know. I’d pay pretty decent money for it. And would probably be pretty good at it
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
A light, yet very filling, Asian chicken noodle soup.
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Black pepper
- 1 cup grated carrots (~2 medium)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 1 14.5 oz can fat-free chicken broth
- 4 oz thin Asian noodles like somen or chow mein
- 6 oz snow pea pods (thawed, if frozen)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (dark green parts only)
- Small handful of cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Spray a large pot with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Add sesame oil and chicken to the pan.
- Sear 3-4 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and drain excess grease from the pan (do not scrape the browned bits or grease from the pan).
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add carrots, red bell pepper, garlic, sherry, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, water, and chicken broth to the pot.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes and add to the pot.
- Simmer (don't boil) over medium heat for 40 minutes.
- Add the noodles to the pan and let cook for 4-5 minutes (check the package for cooking time).
- Add the snow pea pods and green onions, and let cook for 2-3 minutes, until the pea pods have turned bright green.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat, divide between 6 bowls, and serve garnished with cilantro.
Yields: 6 servings
Estimated time: 1 hour
Calories: 181.4 | Fat: 4.4g | Fiber 1.4g | Protein 22.4g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 4