I love daylight savings – it’s still daylight at supper time! With a 7 week old, I don’t even miss that hour of sleep. With a 7 week old, I also don’t have loads of free time to hang out and play in the kitchen. Or do laundry. Or wear matching socks, apparently.
If it’s not quick and easy, I don’t really have time to do it. So I do what I can to make dinner as painless as possible. That usually means building dinner around a prepared freezer entree or pantry staples.
Dinner was supposed to be reminiscent of a dish my husband had out several months ago – seared white fish topped with tomatoes and basil and a creamy butter sauce. I didn’t quite nail the restaurant dish – I stayed away from the heavy cream – but I did manage to put a fresh and easy dinner on the table in a short time.
Grouper with Garlic-Lemon Butter Sauce
Grouper with Garlic-Lemon Butter Sauce. A simple and delicious fish and pasta dish.
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 2 6oz filets of your favorite fish (grouper was on sale)
- 3 Tbsp butter, divided
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 Tbsp basil, chiffonade
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil and cook orzo according to package directions, drain.
- While the orzo is cooking, heat 2 Tbsp butter in a pan over med-high heat. Salt and pepper both sides of the fish and place in the pan. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side, until fish is cooked through and seared nicely.
- In a small sauce pan, heat remaining 1 Tbsp butter over med-high heat. Add garlic and stir until fragrant. Stir in flour and cook for an extra minute. Add white wine and lemon juice, whisking until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Divide orzo between two plates or bowls. Serve fish over orzo, topped with chopped tomato, basil, and sauce.
Yields: 2 servings