The produce bowl on the counter sits in comically sad shape: half a bulb of garlic and 9 lemons. 9 starting-to-look-sad lemons.
I love lemon. Like love-love lemon. The Foodie Groom? Not so crazy about lemons if they don’t come in the form of lemonade. He’s somewhat forgiving if they’re in dessert form but in savory dishes? No way. I had to dial the lemon in Baked Shrimp Scampi way back to keep it on the menu. But with 9 about-to-go-south lemons, I wasn’t dialing anything back for anyone
I chose a light, lemony cream sauce and served it with pasta and chicken. It probably would have been prettier with some chopped tomatoes tossed in at the end but that’s just me sulking over eating late and having to shoot with crappy lighting. But the good news is that I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. And even better news? I still have enough lemons to make it 8 more times
Chicken and Spaghetti with Lemon Cream Sauce
Chicken and spaghetti with a creamy lemon sauce.
- 1/2 lb Thin Spaghetti
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Handful of parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water before draining. Return pasta to the pot.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Pound chicken breasts to even thickness.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook through, 5-6 minutes each side. Remove from pan and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice or shred chicken, as desired. Add to the pasta.
- Add butter to the pan and melt. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add lemon zest, cream, milk and heat through. Stir in Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and white pepper.
- Cook 2-3 minutes, until very hot and slightly thickened.
- Pour sauce over pasta and toss. Let sit 5 minutes, add parsley, and toss again, adding a splash of pasta water if the sauce has thickened too much.
- Divide between bowls and serve topped with additional Parmesan and parsley.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 30 minutes
Calories: 501.7 | Fat: 24.8 | Fiber 6.3
WW Points: 11