There’s an infinite way to make guacamole. I’ve updated this post three times in four years, and each time I feel like this is The One.
There is only one real rule (which I’ve also rewritten): You can’t leave out the lemon juice! While I do love the tart bite of the lime with the creamy avocado, it’s the lemon juice that makes people ask me “What did you put in this?!”
I’ve also started leaving out the cilantro and jalapeno. The Little doesn’t do jalapenos and the cilantro – while I ADORE it – just takes away from the beautiful, simple flavors.
The world's best guacamole recipe. If you ask me.
- 2 large avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 small lemon
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 small roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
- Handful of cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. With the flesh still in the shell, use your knife to cut the avocado into squares.
- Add the lemon and lime juice and use a fork to lightly mash the avocados to the desired texture.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap onto the surface of the avocado to prevent browning.
- Put the bowl in the fridge and chill until ready to serve. Or eat right away!
Yields: ~2 cups
Estimated time: 10 minutes